Why recognize Action Heroes?
We are all influenced by our surroundings... and often too busy to go out of our way to eat healthy and be physically active. Healthy Shasta wants to recognize and celebrate those who make healthy eating and physical activity choices convenient, enjoyable, affordable, more enticing or easier for others.
Organization/Business: City of Redding Recreation
Of course a recreation program provides physical activity opportunities to families, but City of Redding Recreation does that and more. This past year they adopted a policy to always provide healthy options for food and beverages at events, vending machines, and concession stands – such as at the Riverwalk Grill at the Aquatics Center. These healthy options are priced similarly to other items on the menu to make them more tempting to those watching their wallet. To encourage families to get moving, Redding Recreation added a Wellness Challenge to their website and recreation guide while the new Fit 4 Life logo draws attention to healthy recreational opportunities.
This past summer Redding Recreation also rolled out the Play at the Park Tour. It features a different park on the 3rd Saturday of the month to encourage residents to visit their neighborhood park. The Tour brings recreational equipment for families to borrow and use at a park near their home.
City of Redding has been named a Healthy Eating Active Living City (HEAL) for its policy work to improve physical activity and food environments for residents. Some recent efforts include the healthy food options policy in Redding Recreation and adoption of a comprehensive Bikeway Action Plan.
Why we like Redding Recreation
People are more likely to make healthy food choices when they are accessible, appealing, and convenient. Redding Recreation's new vending and concession policy not only ensures that healthy choices are available, but marks them to stand out and prices healthy options similarly to other items. They also increased the nutritional value of existing menu items by using whole grain bread and tortillas as the standard for sandwiches and quesadillas and offering fruit as part of the 'meal deal'.
Redding Recreation's tips:
- See the City of Redding Recreation Vending and Concession Policy
- Samples of menu items offered by Redding Recreation include frozen grapes, sliced apples with peanut butter, PB & J on whole wheat bread, 100% fruit juice, and quesadillas made of whole wheat tortillas - More Ideas
- Offer the healthy items on the menu for the same or lower prices than the less healthy options
- Incorporate fruits, vegetables and whole grains as often as possible
- Redding Recreation
- Healthy Eating Active Living (HEAL) City Campaign
- Choose My Plate (helps you balance food and physical activity levels)
- Let's Move (Michelle Obama's childhood obesity initiative)
- Action for Healthy Kids and Game On Ultimate Wellness Challenge
- NFL Play 60
- Food and nutrition resources from a variety of federal programs