Resources for Eating Healthy
Shop Healthy Shasta Lake
People who live and work in the City of Shasta Lake are working together to promote shopping locally with a focus on increasing affordable, nutritious food within stores and markets in the city.
Shop Healthy Shasta Lake works with markets to:
- Provide more fruit, vegetable and healthy snacks choices.
- Reduce tobacco, alcohol and junk food advertisements.
- Increase healthy food options at/near check-outs.
- Provide healthy food tastings, recipes and cookbooks.
- Promote efforts to offer healthy choices in local media.
Stores play an important role in our community. They shape the economic vitality, quality and safety of our neighborhoods. They also influence the health of the families and young people who shop in them. Shop Healthy Shasta Lake and Healthy Stores for a Healthy Community efforts focus on the link between the store environment and community health.
For more information or to get involved, please contact Mary Messier at 530-245-6639 or Jessica Duckett at 530-225-5134.
Organic Produce Delivery
Looking for a convenient way to include more fruits and vegetables in your day? Two local businesses will deliver organic produce right to your home or work. Having the fruits and vegetables at your fingertips is one more way to help make the healthy choice the easy choice!
Good Food on a Tight Budget
Stretching your dollars to get a month's worth of healthy, filling food can be a challenge. The Environmental Working Group (EWG), in collaboration with Share Our Strength, published this guide to help you fill your plate with delicious, healthy food - and save time and money. EWG assessed nearly 1,200 foods and hand-picked the best 100 or so that pack in nutrients at a good price, with the fewest pesticides, contaminants and artificial ingredients. To get the guide, visit http://www.ewg.org/goodfood/ or download it below. Also available is a recipe booklet full of tasty, easy to prepare recipes.
Local Food Guide
Looking for food grown/produced in or around Shasta County? The Local Food Guide is a good start. It lists multiple sources of locally produced food and where to buy it. According to a study conducted in early 2012, if consumers in the 6 county region surrounding Shasta County (Shasta, Trinity, Siskiyou, Modoc, Lassen, Tehama) bought $5 of their food from local farms each week, farms would earn $89 million of new farm income annually - meaning an additional $89 million per year would enter the region's economy.
Local Food Guide (pdf)
Please note: This guide is a work in progress. If you have suggestions or would like to be included please contact Healthy Shasta, 229-8428 or email@example.com.
- Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- California Project Lean
- CDC - Fruit & Vegetables
- CDC - Nutrition for Everyone
- Center for Science in the Public Interest
- Champions for Change
- Eat Fresh
- Eat Smart. Play Hard. Healthy Lifestyle!
- Fruits & Veggies - More Matters
- Harvard School of Public Health - The Nutrition Source
- Harvest of the Month
- Kids Eat Right
- Kids Health
- Let's Move
- Meals Matter
- My Plate
- Network for a Healthy California
- Roots of Change
Printed Materials for Parents
- Healthy Snacks for Children
- Straight A's with a Healthy Breakfast
- What is a Healthy Food
- Yummy Tummy Cookbook
- Healthy Holiday Eating
Printed Materials for Teachers
The following printed materials for teachers are a part of the Healthy Kids, Healthy Classrooms Toolkit developed by the Healthy Students Initiative.
- Ghoulishly Great Ideas
- Happy Healthy Halloween
- Healthy Celebrations
- Healthy Classroom Party Ideas
- Healthy Halloween Treats
- Healthy Holiday Party Ideas
- Healthy School Celebrations
- Healthy Treats for Classroom Parties
- Party Foods for the Classroom
- Valentines Party Treat Ideas
- Non-Food Alternatives
- We Can! Classroom Parties & Incentives
- Alternatives to Food as Reward
- Constructive Classroom Rewards
- Alternatives to Using Food as Reward
- Non-Food Reward Ideas
- Food-Free Celebration Ideas
- Healthy Alternatives for Snacks
- Tasty Snacks for Healthy Kids
- Snacking Tips for Healthy Kids
- Healthy Snacks for Home and Classroom
- Fuel Learning with Fruits and Vegetables
Food Allergy Information
- American College of Allergy, Asthma, and Immunology
- Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America
- Cleveland Clinic Food Allergy Information
- Food Allergy & Anaphylaxis Network (FAAN)
- FAAN Teens
- Mayo Clinic Food Allergy Information
- National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases