Healthy Shasta supports making the healthy choice the easy choice where you live, work and play. More than 60% of adults work and many spend 2,000 or more hours a year at work. More than half of health care costs are lifestyle related, which means they are largely preventable. Worksite wellness fosters a supportive work environment that encourages healthy lifestyle choices.
There is no perfect type of worksite wellness program. Each company is unique in its needs and must create a program that benefits both the employer and employees. However, the most successful programs have similar components.
- Health education
- Supportive social and physical environments
- Integration of the wellness program into the organizational structure
- Linkage to related programs
- Worksite health screening programs
- Supportive individual behavior change with follow-up interventions
While it is ideal to for businesses to develop a comprehensive program, this goal may not be realistic. That's okay. Employers can start with just one or two of the components that comprise a comprehensive program. The worksite wellness pages listed at left offer tools and resources for enhancing physical activity and nutrition at the worksite.